Thursday, November 6, 2008

Cats, Crowing and Calls to Prayer

Friday morning, 5:15 am

A cat outside my window woke me up at 4:45. It better be quiet or someone will eat it and I will help them catch it! Then a rooster started crowing at 4:56 – his clock must have been 4 minutes fast. Now I hear this interesting pounding sound, a bell, and someone in the distance singing a haunting chant in what sounds like Arabic – I’m guessing it’s the Islamic call to prayer. I’m thinking about Parker and Charlie, Pete and my parents, many others of you, and thought about how very far away you are – 11 hours to be exact. This is an amazing place – it takes some getting used to but I can understand how one’s heart can remain here. Will be getting up soon to check if there’s power and start today – going to the IDP (Internally Displaced People) Camp in Padar.